Updated May 19, 2014
Gone are the easy free drinks and really cheap buffet meals at the casinos in Vegas. But, if you look, there are plenty of free things to keep you entertained both on and off the Las Vegas Strip. Of course, you can always people-watch to your heart's content! And when you need a break for cheap eats, try McDonalds. There are at least two on the Strip.
- Fountains at the Bellagio - Fountains dance to music and explode with exhuberance. Great at night with the lights. Monday - Friday, 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. show every 1/2 hour, 8:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. show every 15 minutes, Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. show every 1/2 hour, 8:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. show every 15 minutes. Bellagio Fountains Website.
Rainstorm at Planet Hollywood - Located in the Miracle Mile Shops at the Planet Hollywood Hotel and Casino. Storms occur every hour on the hour, Monday through - Thursday, and every half hour Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Planet Hollywood Website.
- Conservatory and Gardens at the Bellagio - Beautiful live gardens to enjoy. Decorations and displays change for major holidays. Bellagio Gardens Website
- Atlantis Water Show in the Forum Shops at Caesars - animatronic statues acting out the story of the fall of Atlantis. Fountains, lasers, fire, steam and sound effects. Schedule: Every hour on the hour Sunday through Thursday, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10:00 a.m. to midnight. You'll find the fountain in the Roman Great Hall. Caesar's Forum Shops Website.
- Chocolate Fountain at the Bellagio - We came upon a marvelous, scrumptious contraption at the Jean-Philippe Patisserie. What we saw was amazing - a glass-encased 27 foot high chocolate fountain with 2,100 pounds of melted flowing chocolate to tempt us.
More about the Chocolate Fountain.
- Circus Acts at Circus Circus - They fly through the air with the greatest of ease at Circus Circus. Experience the world's largest permanent circus, highlighting the center stage of the Carnival Midway daily. See performances daily from 11 a.m. - midnight. Circus Circus Website.
- Fremont Street Experience - Gigantic screen, free entertainment. A 90 foot high, four block long electronic canopy that presents spectacular sight and sound shows from dusk until midnight.Website
- Wildlife Habitat at the Flamingo - Flamingos, koi, turtles and more. Wildlife Experience Website
- Rock and Roll Memorabilia at The Hard Rock - See Elton John's blue feather suit, a black satin jacket worn by Madonna, Elvis' guitar and more. Located on Paradise Road. Hard Rock Cafe Memorabilia Website
- Hawaiian Marketplace Entertainment - Located on the Strip, free performances, which start at the top of the hour, feature island
musicians, hula dancers, lei makers, Samoan fire-knife dancers, and
animatronic birds. Hawaiian Marketplace Info. Website.
- CBS Television City in the MGM Grand- The CBS Television City Research Center gives visitors the chance to be part of the network's decision-making by viewing and rating pilots programs. Hours are from 10 am until screenings wrap for the day - usually around 10 p.m. Screenings run around every half hour and can last from 40 minutes to two hours. MGM Grand Television City Website.
- Lion Habitat at the MGM Grand - See a live lion. Lion Habitat Website.
- Aquarium at the Mirage - Walk in the lobby and turn right. The aquarium spans the length of the front desk. Aquarium Website.
- Tropical Rainforest at the Mirage - Walk in the lobby and through the orchid laden rainforest. Atrium Website.
- The Volcano at the Mirage - Closed for renovation until late 2008. Volcano Website.
- Show in the Sky at the Rio - It's a unique performance every time, with three different shows featuring stunning dancers in eye-popping costume fashions from the likes of DKNY and Victoria's Secret. Show in the Sky is performed hourly from 7 pm until midnight every Thursday through Sunday.
Rio Show Website
- Walk the Strip - You can put on a good pair of walking shoes and walk and gawk along the strip. Morning is best for this activity as there are less people out. If you want a map guided walk, the AVA Walking Association provides one. Article on Walking the Strip. AVA Walking Site.
- Sunset Stampede at Sam's Town - Sam's Town is located out on Boulder Highway. This is an 8 minute laser light and water show with a western pioneer theme. Daily at 2:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. Sam's Town Website.
- Sirens of TI at Treasure Island - Outdoor show in the Pirate's Cove featuring a clash between a group of beautiful, tempting sirens and a band of renegade pirates. Nightly at 7:00 p.m., 8:30 p.m., 10:00 p.m., and 11:30 p.m. Sirens and Pirates have November 16 - December 25th off. Treasure Island Website.