San Antonio's Wine and Food Festival - Basics:
Tickets: You can purchase tickets for one event or a package.
Dates: Annually in May. See the NWWFF website for specifics.
Contact: 6338 N. New Braunfels #134, San Antonio, TX 78209
About the New World WIne and Food Festival:
Winemaker's Dinner in a Wine Cellar:
Head to the Hill Country for a Winemaker's Luncheon:
The winemaker's luncheon was held in their Lavender Haus Reception Hall. The lunch consisted of multiple courses paired with a variety of fine wines... some from the Becker Vineyards and some from other New World vineyards.
A Taste of Mexican Food, Margaritas and More Wine:
This was a stand up, grazing event. The food was appetizer size and I found that the guests who were hanging out around the tequila tables were having the most fun. The price was right, $35 a ticket, but we had been spoiled by the cuisine at the winemakers' dinner and luncheon so the highlight of the evening for us was listening to live latin music.
Totally Tejas at Rio Cibolo Ranch:
When You Go to San Antonio's New World Wine & Food Festival:
- I'd recommend purchasing your event tickets ahead of time via the website.
- Don't over-do. One event a day should be sufficient. (We over-did!)
- Many of the events are in the River Walk area. You might do well to find a hotel in that area so that you can walk to events.
- If you want good wines and an enjoyable time consider a winemaker's dinner or luncheon. Seated events may cost more but you will have time to enjoy the wine and food and hear comments from the vintners.
- If you are serious about wine, the Winemaker's dinners and luncheons are for you. At the larger events, you may have your wine poured by a server who knows nothing about the wine or the winery.
- You get what you pay for. Prices range from $25 per person to sip and stroll the shops at La Cantera to $225 for The Black Tie event at the Omni La Mansion del Rio. My absolute favorites were the Winermaker's dinner at Boudro's, the winemaker's luncheons at Becker Vineyard and The Fig Tree Restaurant. All were superb and featured pairings of delightful courses with great wines. Those ran $50 - $80 per person and were worth every penny.
- Enjoy the San Antonio River Walk and places like La Villita to walk off some off those newly gained calories.